Link

Social

Embed

Disable autoplay on embedded content?

Download

Download
Download Transcript


[00:00:03]

MS. TRACY, WE'LL GO

[Community Multicultural Commission Meeting on March 21, 2024.]

AHEAD AND CALL THE MEETING TO ORDER.

HOW'S EVERYBODY DOING TODAY? VERY GOOD.

WELL, VERY WELL.

I'VE HEARD SOME SIDEBAR CONVERSATION IN REGARDS TO THIS WEATHER.

UM, I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO SAY WEATHER AND GARLAND .

THESE FOLKS RIDE WAY DIFFERENT, .

ALL RIGHT.

WE'LL GO AHEAD AND GET THE MEETING STARTED.

UM, THE AGENDA CALLS FOR US TO HAVE AN APPROVAL OF THE MEETING MINUTES FROM LAST MONTH MOVE FOR APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF LAST MONTH, UH, BEFORE YOU, UH, OFFER THAT APPROVAL.

MS. ELVIA, HAS EVERYONE HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO REVIEW THE MINUTES? YES.

YES, YES, YES.

ALL RIGHT, MS. ELVIA, MOVE FOR APPROVAL AGAIN.

FOR THE MONTH OF, UH, FEBRUARY.

DO WE HAVE A SECOND? SECOND TO APPROVE THE MINUTES.

ALRIGHT, ALL THOSE IN FAVOR? AYE.

ALL THOSE OPPOSED THE A'S HAVE IT .

THE SECOND THING ON THE, ON THE AGENDA IS FOR PUBLIC COMMENTS.

UM, WE DO HAVE, UM, A GUEST WITH US TONIGHT, THE ASSISTANT CITY MANAGER, MR. PHIL , DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SAY? UH, NO MA'AM.

I JUST, UH, APPRECIATE OPPORTUNITY TO BE HERE AND IF THERE'S ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU MAY HAVE, I'M DEFINITELY HAPPY TO, TO ANSWER THAT, THAT YOU HAVE.

BUT, UH, I DO WANT TO GET INVOLVED WITH, UH, SEVERAL OF THE CITY COMMITTEES, AND THIS IS ONE, SO, UH, I'LL DEFINITELY BE HERE IF YOU, YAY.

UM, BY ANY CHANCE, FOR THOSE OF US THAT MAY NOT KNOW, CAN YOU TELL US SOME OF THE SERVICES OR CONNECTIONS YOU MAY BE ABLE TO OFFER? SPEAKING TO THE MICROPHONE? JUST I MAKE SURE WE'RE ON THE, THE RECORDING.

UH, SO I HAVE A LOT OF THE INTERNAL SERVICES FOR THE, THE CITY.

AND SO TO, TO DEFINE THAT.

UH, I HAVE ANIMAL SERVICES, I HAVE SANITATION, LANDFILL, PURCHASING.

UM, I'M TRYING TO REMEMBER EVERYTHING ON THE, ON THE, ON THE SPOT HERE, UH, FACILITIES AND, UH, THE CITY SECRETARY'S OFFICE, UH, IN THE INTERIM FOR RIGHT NOW.

AND SO, UH, HAVE THOSE DEPARTMENTS, BUT I'M ALSO A CONDUIT TO ANY OF THE OTHER DEPARTMENTS THAT MAY NOT BE UNDER MY DIRECTION.

SO I'M HAPPY TO, TO BE ABLE TO, TO PROVIDE ANY INPUT THAT YOU MAY HAVE THERE AS WELL.

OKAY.

UM, SHALL WE EXPECT YOU AT THE, ALL THE MEETINGS, UH, BECAUSE YOU WANNA BE A PART OR IS THE INVITATION ONLY? UH, I WILL BE AT THE, AT THE MEETINGS, YES, MA'AM.

ALRIGHT.

THANK YOU.

UH, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR MR. UIA? HOW DO YOU SPELL YOUR LAST NAME? I'LL SPELL IT FOR YOU.

IT'S U-R-R-U-T-I-A.

THANK YOU.

ALRIGHT.

WELL, WE LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH YOU IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

THANK YOU.

YOU WE'RE GLAD YOU'RE HERE.

THE NEXT UH, AGENDA ITEM IS, ARE THE ITEMS FOR INDIVIDUAL CONSIDERATION UNDER BULLET, A COMMUNITY MULTICULTURAL COMMISSION BY LAW REVIEW.

UM, DO WE HAVE A REPRESENTATIVE FROM THAT SUBCOMMITTEE THAT WOULD LIKE TO OFFER THEIR PRESENTATION? JUSTINA? WE DID.

WE VOTED AND JUSTINA GOT IT.

OKAY.

I THINK SHE HAS WRITTEN REPORTS FOR EVERYONE.

, THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL A JOKE, .

UM, SO WE HAVE REVIEWED THE BYLAWS.

THERE'S A LOT OF OPPORTUNITY FOR DISCUSSION.

THE ONLY THE, THERE'S ALSO A NEED FOR REVISION.

YOU MENTIONED IN A TEXT MESSAGE TODAY, COMPLIANCE.

AND JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS, WE ARE OUT OF COMPLIANCE WITH THE BYLAWS AND HAVE BEEN FOR A LONG TIME.

SO, YOU KNOW, WE NEED TO CONSIDER WHETHER WE WANT TO FOLLOW THE RULES THAT ARE WRITTEN, WHICH WE HAVEN'T DONE IN MY TENURE, OR WE WANNA TAKE A, A DEEP DIVE ON TRYING TO ADJUST THE BYLAWS TO WHAT WE'RE ACTUALLY DOING.

UH, THERE ARE SEVERAL SECTIONS THAT I CAN HIGHLIGHT.

IF EVERYONE WANTS TO TAKE A LOOK.

YOU HAVE YOUR BYLAWS.

YES.

UH, EVERYONE THAT HAS THEIR FOLDER, THERE SHOULD BE YOUR BINDER.

THERE SHOULD BE A COPY OF THE BYLAWS IN YOUR BINDER.

SO THE ONE MAJOR CHANGE THAT WE ARE RECOMMENDING IS TO THE PURPOSE AND MISSION STATEMENT.

IT CURRENTLY READS TO ENSURE THAT EVERY CITIZEN, REGARDLESS OF ETHNIC, RACIAL, RELIGIOUS OR CULTURAL BACKGROUNDS, FEELS WELCOMED IN THE COMMUNITY, NEIGHBORHOOD, BUSINESS, OR PLACES OF WORSHIP.

OUR RECOMMENDATION IS TO CHANGE

[00:05:01]

THAT BECAUSE BOTH OF THOSE STATEMENTS ARE LIMITING.

THERE'S MORE DIVERSITY THAN ETHNIC, RACIAL, RELIGIOUS OR CULTURAL.

AND THERE ARE MORE LOCALES THAN COMMUNITY, NEIGHBORHOOD, BUSINESS, OR PLACE OF WORSHIP.

SO WE'RE RECOMMENDING THE CHANGE BE REGARDLESS OF BACKGROUND FEELS WELCOME IN THE COMMUNITY, WHICH IS BROADER AND ENCOMPASSES ALL PERSONS.

BUT THAT HAS TO BE SUBMITTED TO YOU GUYS IN WRITING.

YEAH.

WHICH IS FOR CONSIDERATION.

AND THEN YOU VOTE ON IT IN THE NEXT MEETING.

EXACTLY.

SO THIS IS ALL, AND THAT'S IN THE BYLAWS, SO IT'S GOOD TO KNOW.

SO MAY WILL BE THE EARLIEST.

YOU CAN CONSIDER THAT FOR A VOTE.

THE NEXT AREA THAT WE HAD QUESTION IS IN ARTICLE TWO, SECTION 1.3.

IT HIGHLIGHTS AREAS THAT WE ARE TO PROVIDE INSIGHT INTO AND READS.

A, COMMUNICATING, LEARNING, UNDERSTANDING AND EDUCATING.

B, ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES, C, HEALTH AND COMMUNITY SERVICES.

D, PUBLIC SAFETY, E, TRANSPORTATION AND MOBILITY.

F, CURRENT AFFAIRS AND G, CULTURAL DEVELOPMENT AND EMPOWERMENT.

THAT IS A FABULOUS GROUPING OF THINGS THAT WE SHOULD BE PROVIDING INSIGHT INTO AND WE HAVE OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO.

BUT THAT HASN'T BEEN UNDERSTOOD OR HIGHLIGHTED AS THE DIRECTION WE SHOULD GO.

BUT IT'S HERE IN THE BYLAWS.

THE NEXT SECTION TO CONSIDER ARTICLE THREE, SECTION TWO TERMS. EACH MEMBER SHALL SERVE A TERM TO COINCIDE WITH THAT OF THE APPOINTING MEMBER OF THE CITY COUNCIL.

WE AREN'T DOING THAT.

YEP.

IN THE CODE OF CONDUCT SECTION FIVE, THE PRESIDING OFFICER SHALL WAIT NO MORE THAN 15 MINUTES FROM THE POSTED START OF THE MEETING TO CALL A QUORUM.

IF A QUORUM IS NOT PRESENT, THE PRESIDING OFFICER WILL ADVISE THE MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE THAT THE BUSINESS OF THE CNC WILL NOT BE CONDUCTED.

BUT THE MEETING IS FOR INFORMATIONAL DISCUSSIONS ONLY.

WE HAVE SEVERAL TIMES NOT HAD A MEETING BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE A QUORUM, AND WE COULD HAVE HAD INFORMAL DISCUSSION THAT WOULD'VE GOTTEN US READY FOR THE NEXT MEETING.

BUT INSTEAD, WE WERE SENT HOME IN ARTICLE, ARTICLE FIVE, SECTION SEVEN, CITY COUNCIL HOUSE RULES.

THE CITY COUNCIL ADOPTS HOUSE RULES EACH YEAR AND ASKS THAT ALL COMMISSIONS AND BOARDS ADOPT THESE SAME RULES.

SOUNDS GREAT.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE HOUSE RULES? NO.

WHAT NUMBER WAS THAT? SECTION SEVEN.

ARTICLE FIVE, SECTION SEVEN.

ARTICLE SIX, SECTION SIX.

I CAN YOU, YOU ALL WILL GET ALL OF THIS SO I CAN SEND THE HIGHLIGHTED DOCUMENT.

NOTICE MUST BE GIVEN TO THE CMCS CHAIRPERSON, AND THIS IS ABOUT WHAT WE CAN'T, HOW WE CAN'T VOTE ON THIS TONIGHT.

NOTICE MUST BE GIVEN TO THE C C'S CHAIRPERSON, VICE CHAIRPERSON, AND SECRETARY BY CLOSE THE BUSINESS ON THE MONDAY PROCEEDING THE C MEETING OF THE COMMITTEE'S INTENT TO PRESENT A REPORT, A WRITTEN COMMITTEE REPORT SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO THE ABOVE MENTIONED MEMBERS.

AT THAT TIME, ELECTRONIC MAIL NOTIFICATION OF SAID INTENT IS ACCEPTABLE.

SO WE WOULD'VE NEEDED TO SUBMIT A WRITTEN REPORT TO YOU ON MONDAY.

AND WE DIDN'T MEET UNTIL JUST BEFORE THIS MEETING TODAY FOR THIS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A VOTE AND STILL COULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE.

AND THAT AFFECTS ALL COMMITTEES.

YEP.

SO THAT NOMINATING COMMITTEE SHENANIGANS WAS LIKE YEAH.

WAY OUT OF SOMETIMES.

SO I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION.

UM, MS. KIMBERLY, YOU ARE RIGHT HERE ON NUMBER SIX IN REGARDS TO DATES.

CAN WE, AT THIS MOMENT LOOK AT THE CALENDAR FOR APRIL AND MAY TO SEE WHAT DATE THAT WRITTEN DOCUMENTATION NEEDS TO BE RECEIVED BY? SURE, SURE.

LIKE RIGHT NOW, AT THIS MOMENT? YEAH.

SO THAT WAY WE GOING THROUGH THIS.

THAT'S, THAT'S WHAT I WAS ASKING.

YEAH.

DO WE WAIT, DO I WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE FINISHED? OKAY.

GOTCHA.

WE'RE, WE'RE ALMOST THERE.

YES, ABSOLUTELY.

ARTICLE 10, AMENDMENT TO THE BYLAWS.

[00:10:02]

THESE BYLAWS MAY BE AMENDED OR NEW BYLAWS ADOPTED BY A TWO THIRDS VOTE OF FILLED POSITIONS OF THE CMC PROVIDED THE PROPOSED AMENDMENTS OR NEW BYLAWS WERE INTRODUCED INTO THE RECORD AT THE PREVIOUS CMC MEETING.

SO THAT'S THE OTHER PART OF THAT.

WE CAN INTRODUCE THEM THE NEXT MEETING AND THEN WE CAN VOTE ON THE MEETING FOLLOWING.

UNDERSTOOD.

IS THAT, OH NO, THERE'S THIS NEXT ONE, ARTICLE 11, SECTION TWO, ANNUALLY THE BUDGET SHALL BE DEVELOPED AND APPROVED AT THE OCTOBER MEETING.

WE'RE NOT DOING THAT.

YEAH.

AND OCTOBER MAY NOT BE THE TIME TO DO THAT BECAUSE IT SHOULD.

THAT'S THE ELECTION TIME.

AND MY THINKING TIE IN WITH THE, UH, PLAN OF ACTION FOR THE CMC FOR THE YEAR.

AND THAT PLAN'S USUALLY NOT DEVELOPED UNTIL OR IN THE PAST JANUARY OR FEBRUARY.

UH, THIS YEAR.

IT'S A LITTLE BIT LATER.

UH, BUT IT'S, IT'S HARD DEVELOPING A BUDGET IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR STRATEGIC PLAN.

UNDERSTOOD.

SO WE MAY NEED TO CONSIDER CHANGING OCTOBER.

MS. TRACY, HOW DOES OUR BUDGET RUN? DOES IT RUN JANUARY TO, UH, DECEMBER? IT'S IN THE BYLAWS.

THE FISCAL YEAR IS SEPT.

UH, OCTOBER 1ST TO SEPTEMBER 30TH.

I'M FINE BECAUSE THAT YEAH.

AND THAT'S WHY THAT'S WELL, IT DOES.

OKAY.

BUT EITHER THAT OR CHANGE WHEN WE DO OUR STRATEGIC PLANNING YEAH.

BUDGET DISCUSSION COULD HAPPEN BEFORE THEN.

BUT WE SHOULD BE WORKING ON THE BUDGET AND IMPROVING IT.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BUDGET.

I'VE ONLY HEARD WE HAVE THIS MUCH MONEY, WHICH IS NOT WHAT A BUDGET IS.

A BUDGET IS WHAT WE'RE GOING TO INVEST, WHATEVER OUR FUNDING IS IN.

SO WE WOULD HAVE TO PLAN, YOU KNOW, LIKE YOU WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THE THINGS THAT YOU WANTED TO SUPPORT AND WE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THOSE DISCUSSIONS AND THEN LOOK AT THE BUDGET AND SAY, THIS IS WHERE IT'S GONNA GO.

INSTEAD OF, WE'RE GONNA BUY TRINKETS AND TRASH FOR FOUR GRAND .

UNDERSTOOD.

.

MADAM CHAIR? YES.

MADAM CHAIR.

MAY I, THE CHAIR? MAY I PLEASE SPEAK? YES.

UH, AS IT RELATES TO THE BUDGET, IT MAY BE BENEFICIAL, UH, AS WE ARE, AS STAFF STARTING OUR OPERATING BUDGET DISCUSSIONS.

UH, NOW OUR, OUR OPERATING BUDGET IS OPENING FOR NEXT FISCAL YEAR.

I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL, UH, MAY TO START HAVING DISCUSSIONS OF WHAT COUNCIL IS GOING TO ALLOT THE BOARD AND THEN STARTING TO BREAK OUT LINE ITEMS AS, UH, MS. BANKS SAID.

IT MAY BE FOR, UH, PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL, IT MAY BE FOR CONFERENCES, MAY BE FOR SPONSORSHIPS, BUT AT THAT POINT, THE COUNCIL WILL BE ABLE TO SAY THE, THE BUDGET IS X AND THEN THE, THE COMMITTEE CAN THEN BREAK OUT WHAT THAT MONEY COULD BE ALLOCATED TOWARDS.

THAT MAKES SENSE.

UM, I GUESS FROM MY KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING, THE ONLY THING THAT I'VE EVER KNOWN THAT WE PAID FOR AS A, OR CAME OUT OF OUR BUDGET WAS OUR PARTICIPATION FOR THE WINTER BALL AND OUR SWAG.

OTHER THAN THAT, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ELSE THAT OUR BUDGET HAS EVER GONE FOR ATTENDING VARIOUS FUNCTIONS THAT REQUIRE A PURCHASE, A PURCHASE OF A TICKET, SENDING MEMBERS TO, BUT YOU KNOW, THIS IS VERY BROAD.

SO IT COULD HAVE GONE FOR A LOT OF THINGS, BUT WE HAVE NOT PARTICIPATED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE BUDGET IN MY TENURE.

SO, YOU KNOW, THE, THE, THE, THE BYLAWS DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

IT CAN'T BE, BUT YOU KNOW, IF WE'RE LOOKING IN ADVANCE, WE'RE GONNA BUY CANDY FOR THE MLK PARADE.

WE'RE GOING TO DO THIS, WE'RE GOING TO DO THAT.

RATHER THAN GETTING TO THE, WELL, WE DIDN'T SPEND OUR MONEY LAST YEAR, LET'S SPEND IT NOW.

IT'S LIKE, WE COULD BE FAR MORE STRATEGIC ABOUT IT.

AND IT COULD BE TO INVEST IN SOMETHING, YOU KNOW, LIKE ONE OF THESE EVENTS THAT WE WANNA DO WHERE WE MIGHT REQUIRE MORE THAN JUST EVERYONE BRINGING A PIECE OF SOMETHING FROM HOME OR SOMETHING.

YOU KNOW, I JUST, I THINK THERE'S REAL OPPORTUNITY THERE, BUT IT JUST HASN'T HAPPENED.

BUT THAT, THOSE ARE THE THINGS THAT WE HIGHLIGHTED.

THERE COULD BE MORE, AND THERE'S ROOM FOR MUCH DISCUSSION.

BUT IN THOSE AREAS WHERE WE AREN'T DOING THINGS, THEY DON'T NEED TO BE HERE IF WE'RE NOT GOING TO DO THEM.

AND IF WE'RE GOING TO DO THEM, THEN WE NEED TO START DOING THEM.

UNDERSTOOD.

FROM A COMPLIANCE STANDPOINT, YOU KNOW, I WAS LIKE, WELL, I LIKE, YOU KNOW, TO BE I THE MARTIN LUTHER, WHICH I BROUGHT UP BEFORE, BE ABLE TO BUY FLAGS, CANDY, YOU KNOW, UH, WHATEVER, A BANNER, WHATEVER.

UM, 'CAUSE WE ONLY HAVE ONE BANNER AND AND YOU CAN'T SEE IT ON THE SIDE IF YOU PUT IT IN THE FRONT OR THE BACK.

UM, ARE YOU, ARE YOU SUGGESTING THAT MAYBE WE HAVE SOMETHING LIKE A BUDGET REPORT AT EVERY MONTHLY MEETING? THAT'S WHAT I WAS, WAS ABOUT TO ASK MS. TRACY.

THAT WOULD MAKE PERFECT SENSE.

IF THERE'S A, IF, IF THERE IS A BUDGET LIST THAT WE'VE USED IN THE PAST, SOMETHING THAT I COULD POSSIBLY

[00:15:01]

REVIEW AND HAVE AN IDEA OF HOW TO MOVE FORWARD WITH TRYING TO CREATE SOMETHING.

I CAN SEE WHAT WE HAVE, HOW THE BUDGETS LISTED FOR.

AND, UH, AND IF ONCE WE GET THAT WOULD, UM, YEAH, THERE WERE PRIOR COVID, THERE WAS, EACH YEAR THERE WAS A BUDGET.

OKAY.

SORT OF AROUND COVID TIME.

IT DWINDLED OFF EVERYTHING.

YEAH.

BECAUSE I REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST CAME ON, WE HAD VERY SERIOUS BUDGET DISCUSSIONS.

SURE.

AND THE MONEY WAS BUDGETED.

WE SHOULD, AND, AND WE CAP UP WITH IT MONTHLY, WHAT WAS BEING EXPENDED.

OKAY.

BUT THAT ALSO LETS YOU, YOU KNOW, REALLY DECIDE WHAT YOU WANNA PRIORITIZE.

RIGHT.

BECAUSE YOUR BUDGET REFLECT WHAT ARE WE DOING FOR YOUR ACTION PLAN.

YEAH.

AND WE, WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT.

SO IT'S LIKE, WHAT A WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY.

THESE ARE NOT BAD BYLAWS.

THEY JUST DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE WAY WE OPERATE IN SOME AREAS AT.

AND SO IT'S A REALLY COOL OPPORTUNITY.

BUT, YOU KNOW, UM, TO YOUR POINT FOR THE DATE THAT WE NEED TO HAVE THE REPORT TO YOU, THAT WOULD BE THE MONDAY BEFORE THE NEXT MEETING, WHICH IS WHEN? APRIL 18TH? IS THAT IT? YEAH.

SO WE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THAT REPORT TO YOU BY MAY BY APRIL 15TH.

APRIL 15TH.

AND TO BE SAFE, IT'D BE GOOD TO, WE'D PROBABLY, WE, WE WE COULD GET IT TO YOU BEFORE THAT.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, WE CAN PUT IN THAT REPORT.

ALL OF THIS.

MOST ALL THE OTHER, ALL THE SECTIONS THAT I'VE JUST HIGHLIGHTED ARE NOT WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT CHANGING.

THE ONLY THING WE'RE TALKING ABOUT CHANGING IS THE MISSION STATEMENT.

THE REST OF IT NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED.

OKAY.

SO, YOU KNOW, WE NEED EVERYONE'S INPUT.

WE, WE WEREN'T THAT, THAT WE WEREN'T CHARGED TO REWRITE IT ALL.

BUT, YOU KNOW, THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME CAREFUL CONSIDERATION ABOUT WHETHER WE WOULD LIKE TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THIS.

I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE MR. THE RECOMMENDATION OF ALIGNING BUDGETING WITH THE CITY BUDGETING.

'CAUSE THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

YOU KNOW, THAT JUST, YOU'RE GOING TO KNOW WHAT RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE AND THEN YOU CAN ALLOCATE THEM APPROPRIATELY.

AND IT'S ALSO GREAT TO HAVE THAT PLANNING BRAIN THEN, BECAUSE YOU CAN GO GET INTO ACTION ON THE FISCAL YEAR, YOU KNOW, TO BE TALKING ABOUT IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SEPTEMBER, AND THEN TRYING TO ENACT IT IN OCTOBER PUTS US AT A DISADVANTAGE.

AGREED.

OKAY.

SO THIS SAYS SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER, BUT I THINK WE SHOULD BACK UP TO THE SPRING.

OKAY.

SO FOUR 15 WILL BE THE DATE THAT WE NEED TO HAVE.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED? IS THAT THE CORRECT WORD TO USE THINGS TO CONSIDER? I, I, I, YOU KNOW, I I WOULD SAY ITEMS TO CONSIDER BECAUSE WE CAN, I CAN'T, WE CAN'T CORRECT IT WITHOUT EVERYONE AGREEING WHAT WE NEED TO DO.

I'M JUST HIGHLIGHTING WHAT WE'RE NOT DOING.

I DIDN'T MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WHAT WE SHOULD DO.

I THINK YOU PROBABLY WOULD WANNA REVIEW THE THINGS WE'RE NOT DOING AND THEN, YOU KNOW, YOU'LL TELL US.

OKAY.

SO I'M JUST TRYING TO GET THE VERBIAGE CORRECT SO THAT SHE PUTS IT IN THE MEETING MINUTES.

THE WAIT IT NEEDS TO READ.

SO IT WOULD BE ITEMS TO CONSIDER FOR BYLAW REVISION.

YEAH.

AND ALSO, MADAM CHAIR, IN ORDER, UM, TO HAVE IT IN TIME FOR THE POSTING OF THE AGENDA, I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE IT BY APRIL 10TH.

APRIL 10TH.

YES.

SO THAT MEANS Y'ALL HAVE TO GET IT TO ME BEFORE APRIL 10TH.

SO APRIL, WHAT DID WE JUST SAY? WE SAID APRIL 15TH, WE WE'RE GONNA DO APRIL 8TH.

DO YOU INCLUDE THE ACTUAL, UH, NOTED CHANGES ON THE BYLAWS IN YOUR, SO YOU HAVE TO ATTACH THAT, BE IT AN ATTACHMENT, IT WOULD BE ATTACHED YESTERDAY.

OKAY.

SO THAT IT IS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION AT THE NEXT MEETING.

OKAY.

SO APRIL 8TH AT THE LATEST.

ACTUALLY, ONCE YOU GET THAT TYPED UP, YOU COULD AND HIGHLIGHTED YOU COULD SEND IT.

I COULD, I'M GOING TO SEND IT, IT, IT'S HIGHLIGHTED NOW.

I'M SE I'LL SEND IT TODAY.

SO THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM.

BUT WHEN YOU GET THAT, THEN YOU CAN LIKE GO, OKAY, ITEM BY ITEM WHAT YOU, RIGHT.

WHAT YOU RECOMMEND THAT, THAT WE DO IS I WOULDN'T JUST DISCUSSING THEM ALL IN ONE MEETING.

NO, NO.

WE TAKE THE BITS AND PIECES.

YEAH.

BUT YOU KNOW, THAT, THAT GIVES YOU SOME SPACE TO SAY, OKAY, HERE'S HOW I'D LIKE TO ADDRESS THIS.

CORRECT.

WOULD THAT BE IN THE AGENDA? THE FACT THAT WE'RE GONNA DISCUSS THIS SO THAT WE CAN START THINKING, OKAY, WHAT IT IS THAT WE WANT? YES, MA'AM.

BUT THE AGENDA ONLY GOES OUT, WHAT, A WEEK BEFORE THE MEETING? YOU KNOW, EVEN IF IT'S A DAY BEFORE, IT GIVES YOU A CHANCE TO THINK, OKAY, YOU KNOW, WHAT INPUT CAN I PUT OR WHAT, YOU KNOW.

OKAY.

SO JUST HERE.

RIGHT.

SO WHAT WILL HAPPEN IS IF THEY, WHEN THEY SEND ME THE EMAIL, I'LL GO OVER IT AND LOOK AT IT AND I'LL JUST SEND IT OUT IN AN EMAIL SO THAT EVERYONE CAN LOOK AT IT TO KNOW THAT WE'RE GOING TO POSSIBLY DISCUSS THESE THINGS AT THE NEXT MEETING MEETING.

[00:20:01]

SO THAT WAY YOU GUYS DON'T COME IN.

UH, YOU GET IT A WEEK BEFORE AND COME IN AND WE'RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE A DEEP DIVE DISCUSSION IN REGARDS TO IT.

MADAM CHAIR, IF I MAY ALSO ADD THERE, THERE ARE A FEW ITEMS, UH, IN READING THE, THE BYLAWS.

AND AGAIN, I'M COMING IN NEW TO, TO THIS, UH, AS STATED THAT I BELIEVE NEED REVIEW.

UH, WOULD IT BE AMENABLE TO THE, TO THE COMMITTEE FOR THE STAFF TO ALSO TAKE A REVIEW? AND THERE'S A FEW THINGS I THINK WE NEED TO HIGHLIGHT THAT ARE NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH OPEN MEETING, AND I'D LIKE THE CITY ATTORNEY'S OFFICE TO, UH, REVIEW WHAT'S IN HERE AS WELL.

YES, SIR.

THAT WOULD DEFINITELY BE GREAT.

AND WHEN WE GET THE HIGHLIGHTED COPY, WE CAN PUT 'EM TOGETHER SO THAT WE'LL SHARE THEM WITH YOU SO THAT YOU CAN SEE THE CHANGES THAT WE'VE ALSO DECIDED NEEDED TO BE MADE.

YES.

YES MA'AM.

OR TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION, .

ALL RIGHT.

UM, ANYTHING ELSE? UH, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME, AND I KNOW THIS WAS A LOT OF HARD WORK AND DEFINITELY TRYING TO GET TOGETHER, LIVING IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF GARLAND WORK TRAFFIC.

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE EFFORT THAT WAS MADE TODAY.

UH, NOBODY, UM, NOT PICKING AT, JUST AS SHE SAID IT WAS A JOKE EARLIER, BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH.

JUST , WE, I'M SURE THEY APPRECIATED YOUR PRESENCE.

WE DO JUST IS THE YOUNGEST IN HERE, SO WE GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE HER FEEL BAD EVERY NOW AND THEN.

.

UM, ALL RIGHT, MS. TRACY, YOU HAVE ALL THAT? YES, MA'AM.

OKAY.

THE NEXT THING THAT'S ON THE AGENDA, UH, FOR ITEM B, THE COMMUNITY MULTICULTURAL COMMISSION DISPLAY TABLE AT THE ATRIUM.

SO IT SAYS THAT THE COMMISSION WILL DISCUSS THEIR PARTICIPATION BY HAVING A DISPLAY TABLE DURING THE FLATS PERFORMANCE THAT WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE ATRIUM ON APRIL 14TH, 2024.

SO I WAS ABLE TO SPEAK WITH MS. K MOORE.

UH, ONE CONCERN YOU GUYS HAD WAS WHAT SIZE WILL THE TABLE BE? IT WILL BE AN EIGHT FOOT TABLE.

THERE WAS ANOTHER QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED.

WILL IT BE NEAR AN OUTLET SO THAT IF WE BROUGHT, WE WERE ABLE TO GET A LAPTOP, WE CAN SHOW OUR CLIP.

I ASKED HER TO PUT US NEAR AN OUTLET.

SHE SAID THAT THAT'S DOABLE.

NICE.

THE, WE, WE NEEDED TO KNOW WHAT THE THEME WAS OR HOW ARE WE NECESSARILY GONNA DECORATE OUR TABLE.

SHE SAID THAT THE TIME PERIOD IS FROM THE 1930S TO THE 1940S.

OH.

AND MOST OF IT IS GONNA BE, UM, GARLAND SCHOOL, GARLAND COLORED SCHOOL THING.

SO WHAT, WHAT'S GARLAND? BLACK AND GOLD? OH, I DON'T KNOW.

I DIDN'T, I DIDN'T GO TO SCHOOL IN GARLAND, SO FORGIVE ME FOR THOSE THAT DID THEY BLACK AND GOLD.

OH.

LIKE JUST GARLAND HIGH SCHOOL.

THAT WAS JUST GARLAND HIGH SCHOOL, HIGH SCHOOL THEN.

BUT GARLAND HIGH SCHOOL WASN'T.

WAS BLACK AND GOLD BACK THEN ? WELL, NO, I WAS JUST GONNA SAY GARLAND HIGH SCHOOL WASN'T INTEGRATED BACK THEN.

UM, BACK THEN IT WAS THE, UM, CARVER WAS CARVER.

THE HIGH SCHOOL WESTERN ACADEMY WAS ONE.

NO, BUT THE, I THINK, I THINK WHAT THE CARVER, I DON'T REMEMBER THE NAME IT, BUT IT WAS A COLORED HIGH SCHOOL.

YEAH.

THERE WAS A COLORED HIGH SCHOOL.

SO I'M NOT SURE.

AND I MISREAD MY NOTES IS GARLAND COLORED SCHOOL OKAY.

YEAH.

WAS SO, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WAS GARLAND COLORED.

YEAH.

YEAH.

FOR COLORED.

YEAH.

NO, THE SCHOOLS WERE VERY SEGREGATED AND YOU KNOW, IT WAS ALL THE WAY UP TO THE SIXTIES.

SO THEY WERE SEVENTIES ALL THE WAY UP TO TILL THE EIGHTIES.

YEAH.

SO THE BEST THOUGHT WE CAN GO WITH, AND WE'LL, WE'LL OPEN THAT UP FOR DISCUSSION ONCE I GO THROUGH THIS.

YEAH.

UM, HOW WE WANT TO DECORATE OUR TABLE.

UM, THERE IS NO RESERVED SEATING.

UM, 12:00 PM FOR SETUP.

THIS IS GOING TO TAKE PLACE ON A SUNDAY.

AND HOW MUCH YOUR TICKETS? TICKETS RIGHT NOW ARE $25 FOR ADULTS, $15 FOR STUDENTS.

IF YOU GET THEM IN A GROUP RATE, THEY PAN OUT TO BE APPROXIMATELY $20 EACH, UH, PER ADULT.

AND THAT'S A GROUP OF 10.

THE DAY OF THE TICKET PRICE WILL INCREASE FROM $25 FOR ADULTS TO $30.

AND THAT'S FOR GENERAL ADMISSION.

SO SHE IS SUGGESTING THAT, UM, WE START THE PURCHASE TICKETS NOW IF WE WANT TO BE A PART OF IT OR, OR COME TO SEE NOT A PART.

IF YOU WANT TO COME AND SEE, OR YOU KNOW, SOMEONE THAT WANTS TO ATTEND, LET THEM KNOW THEY SHOULD START PURCHASING THEIR TICKETS NOW.

YES, MS. KIMBERLY.

SO I, MY QUESTION IS, YOU KNOW, I KNOW KAY IS WORKING ON THIS.

IS THERE AN OFFICIAL ORGANIZATION THAT IS DOING THIS? I WILL EX IT'S NOT IN CULTURAL ARTS.

IT'S NOT IN OUR WORLD.

IT'S NOT GISD.

OH, IT'S NOT GISD.

[00:25:01]

SHE, I KNOW SHE'S TRYING TO DO HISTORY FROM WAY BACK WHEN FOR DIFFERENT ETHNICITIES, BUT THERE'S A TITLE FOR IT THAT THERE, THAT I'VE SEEN, BUT I DON'T KNOW.

SO I, IT ENTAILS, MY, MY QUESTION IS JUST, YOU KNOW, WE, WE GOT INFORMATION ABOUT IT AT WORK FROM REMEMBERING BLACK DALLAS, WHICH IS A NONPROFIT THAT WE HAVE WORKED WITH IN THE PAST, BUT THEY ARE NOT, THEY HAVE PARTNERED TO PROVIDE SOME INFORMATION.

BUT I KNOW WHEN I FIRST, YOU KNOW, PERSONALLY, WHEN I READ THE SCRIPT, I WAS OFFENDED.

I DON'T KNOW WHO SHE'S PARTNERING WITH AND, AND I, YEAH, I DON'T EITHER.

YOU KNOW, AND I, I TOLD HER TO TALK TO YOU.

DO YOU REMEMBER WAY BACK THEN? SHE HAD ASKED ME TO PLAY A ROLE AND I SAID, YOU KNOW, HAVING GROWN UP IN ROCHESTER, NEW YORK, SPEAKING THE ENGLISH THAT I SPEAK, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET ME TO, TO SAY THE WORDS THAT ARE WRITTEN ON THESE PAGES, WHICH WAS ALL, YOU KNOW, PIGEON ENGLISH.

MAY I I JUST LOOK AT IT.

IT SAYS IT'S FROM GARLAND'S HISTORIC MAGIC 11TH STREET.

CAN YOU SPEAK UP A LITTLE BIT FOR ME? GARLAND'S HISTORIC MAGIC 11TH STREET IS WHO'S DOING THIS? FRIENDS OF GARLAND'S HISTORIC MAGIC.

AND IS IT A FUNDRAISER FOR THEM? UM, I DON'T SEE THAT HERE.

DO WE NEED TO KNOW WHETHER IT'S A FUNDRAISER OR NOT? I JUST, YOU KNOW, I HAVE A FEELING ABOUT THIS AND IT'S NOT, I I DID TOO WHEN I SAID, YEAH, I HAVE A FEELING ABOUT THIS.

YOU KNOW, SHE BEFORE TOO, AND I WAS A LITTLE WORRIED YEAH.

ABOUT THAT TOO.

YEAH.

I I, I, I JUST DIDN'T, I DIDN'T WANT TO SAY ANYTHING.

WELL, I, I, I THINK WE HAVE TO.

YEAH.

THIS IS THE ENVIRONMENT WHERE YOU SAID, UM, UNFORTUNATELY, I'M NOT, I'M NOT AS, UM, I DON'T DIG AS MUCH AS EVERYBODY ELSE.

MAY, YOU KNOW, SHE ASKED, I BROUGHT IT TO THE COMMITTEE.

I WAS A LITTLE WORRIED.

I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT IT, SO I TRY TO READ UP ON IT.

AND YOU, THERE'S NOT A WHOLE LOT HERE.

I MEAN, TALKING TO HER, I GUESS WOULD BE THE EASIEST WAY TO FIND OUT MORE.

I COULD CHECK WITH HER.

I'VE WORKED WITH HER.

I MEAN, SHE'S REALLY NICE LADY, BUT SHE'S VERY NICE.

SHE MAY NOT UNDERSTAND.

SHE HAS NO IDEA.

YEAH.

THIS IS, THIS IS WHAT WELL-MEANING WHITE PEOPLE DO.

YEAH.

, YOU KNOW, AND, AND THAT, THAT IS A PROBLEM.

AND, YOU KNOW, IT'S MICROAGGRESSION AT THE MINIMUM.

IT SAYS IT'S FUNDED IN PART BY A GRANT FROM THE GARLAND CULTURAL ARTS COMMISSION AND THE CITY OF GARLAND CULTURAL ARTS DIVISION.

SO THEY GAVE HER A GRANT TO WRITE IT AND PUT IT ON.

THE ONLY THING THAT I KNOW IS ON MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS, THE PRACTICE IS AT THE NORTH GARLAND LIBRARY, AND THEY ARE SELLING SHIRTS FOR $20 TO HELP ADVERTISE THE EVENT THAT'S GOING ON.

THAT'S, THAT'S THE DEPTH OF WHAT I KNOW.

I'M NOT FROM GARLAND, SO I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH WHAT THE FLATS, HAS ANYBODY SEEN ANY OF THE PRACTICES ARE THE REHEARSALS? NO.

SO LUCKILY WHEN I TURNED IT DOWN, I HAD ANOTHER COMMITMENT FOR EIGHT WEEKS DOWN THE NIGHT OF REHEARSALS.

BUT I GOT MY ROLE SCRIPT AND I WAS LIKE, I, I JUST KNOW.

DO YOU KNOW ANYONE THAT'S IN IT? NOPE.

I KNOW SOMEONE IS.

THAT IS.

SO WHAT, HAVE THEY SAID ANYTHING? I HAVEN'T, I DIDN'T, I DIDN'T.

LEMME JUST, I DIDN'T KNOW I NEEDED TO ASK, UM, WANT YOU TO, BUT I'LL ASK STEP IN ON A REHEARSAL AND SEE HOW IT YEAH.

LIKE, AND THAT'S WHY I SAID THE REHEARSALS ARE MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS.

I WANNA SAY THAT THEY'RE AT 6:00 PM IF THEY'RE NOT SIX TO SIX, YEAH.

THAT'S WHEN THEY, THAT'S WHEN THEY WERE GOING TO BE BACK WHEN, WHEN I WAS HEARD ABOUT IT.

AND IT WAS, I WAS IN A CLASS FROM JANUARY TILL MARCH THAT WAS SIX TO NINE ON TUESDAY, SO I COULDN'T DO IT ING IS IT A MONDAY OR TUESDAY? TUESDAY.

MM-HMM.

.

IT'S A TUESDAY, MONDAY.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY.

BUT YEAH, SO MY FEELING IS JUST, I DON'T KNOW THAT WE WANT TO BE PART OF THAT.

IT'S NOT LIKE BEING PART OF LIFT EVERY VOICE AND SING OR SOMETHING, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? THAT, THAT CULTURAL DEPICTION WE MAY OR MAY NOT WANNA PARTICIPATE IN.

YOU SAID NORTH GARLAND, DIDN'T YOU? NORTH GARLAND LIBRARY.

YEAH.

YOU GONNA GO LISTEN? YEAH.

MY THOUGHTS ON THAT, MS. KIMBERLY, IS, UM, IF WE'RE THERE, WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PASS OUT INFORMATION TO HELP PEOPLE UNDERSTAND HOW WE'RE TRYING TO TIE INTO THE COMMUNITY.

UM, I DON'T KNOW IF MY, IF OUR PRESENCE THERE WILL SAY, I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT WAS DONE IN THIS SCRIPT.

DOES ANYONE THINK THAT THAT'S WHAT OUR PRESENCE AT THAT EVENT SAYS? NO.

I, I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU'RE SAYING TOO, TO, IT DEPENDS ON HOW OFFENSIVE THIS PLAY IS.

AND THAT'S SOMETHING WE NEED TO LOOK AT.

AND, AND IF WE ARE THERE, WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO, TO TAKE THAT INFORMATION IN AND SAY, OKAY, THIS IS SOMETHING WE AS A COMMITTEE NEED TO, TO KIND OF STEP IN AND START TO BE A PART OF THINGS TO SEE AND HEAR WHAT'S GOING ON SO THAT MAYBE WE CAN OFFER OUR THOUGHT PROCESS TO SAY IT'S OFFENSIVE.

IT'S NOT OFFENSIVE.

UM, YOU ARE GOING IN A, YOU MEAN, WELL, YOU'RE GOING IN A, A GOOD DIRECTION, BUT YOU KIND OF VEERED OFF HERE.

AND I THINK THAT'S WHAT THE MULTICULTURAL COMMISSION DOES.

[00:30:01]

I DON'T THINK IT'S, WHETHER IT IS OR ISN'T OFFENSIVE.

I THINK IT'S, YOU KNOW, IF, IF WE LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR, IT'S AN OPPORTUNITY TO EDUCATE.

AND ONE OF THE THINGS THAT YOU SEE FREQUENTLY THAT ARE CHALLENGING RIGHT NOW ARE ISSUES OF CULTURAL APPROPRIATION AND WHO GETS TO TELL WHICH STORY.

AND THAT CULTURAL APPROPRIATION THING IS SOMETHING I THINK WE SHOULD, WE SHOULD INVOLVE OURSELVES IN WHERE WE CAN.

AND THAT IS TRUE FOR EVERY CULTURE, BUT ANYONE WHO IS NOT AFRICAN AMERICAN, WHEN IT'S AN AFRICAN AMERICAN PLAY OR A PLAY ABOUT THE LIVES OF AFRICAN AMERICANS, REALLY CAN'T SIT IN JUDGMENT, JUST LIKE WHEN THEY DID THE ONE ABOUT THE HISPANIC FAMILY OF SOMEONE WHO IS NOT HAVING THAT HERITAGE, CANNOT SIT IN JUDGMENT OF, OF WHAT THE WORK IS.

IT MAY, IT MAY ONLY DISTURB ONE PERSON, THAT ONE PERSON IS ONE TOO MANY.

BUT I THINK WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO EDUCATE, YOU KNOW, IN PARTNERSHIP AND THE SPIRIT OF A HEALTHIER COMMUNITY YES.

ABOUT WHAT IS APPROPRIATE.

AND THAT'S JUST, I, I HAVE A FEELING ABOUT IT.

I AM NOT ANTI IT.

I PROBABLY WILL BUY A TICKET, BUT YOU KNOW, KAY, WHO I KNOW AND, AND THINKS SHE'S DELIGHTFUL.

SHE'S A LOVELY HUMAN, YOU KNOW, SHE CALLED AND ASKED ME IF MY SON WOULD PLAY BECAUSE IT WOULD BE SO GREAT.

AND SHE WAS LIKE, WELL, WOULD HE DONATE IT? AND I'M LIKE, YOU'RE CHARGING $25 A TICKET.

HE'S A PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN.

WE STILL DON'T WANNA PLAY BLACK PEOPLE FOR WORKING.

SAY WE ENDED IN 1865.

MATTHEW BANKS IS NOT THAT PERSON.

AND IT, IT, YOU KNOW, SHE LAUGHED A LITTLE BIT, BUT I'M LIKE, I THINK IT'S WORTH INVESTIGATING AND HAVING A DISCUSSION ABOUT IT BEFORE WE CONTINUE, LIKE, MAKING DECISIONS OF THINGS.

AND SO THAT IF WE ARE EDUCATED ABOUT THIS, WE'RE ABLE TO EDUCATE THEM ABOUT THINGS THAT COULD BE LIKE, THEY JUST NEED A LITTLE BIT OF EDUCATION ON.

AND ACCORDING TO THE BYLAWS, THAT'S, THAT'S OUR JOB.

.

SO WITH THAT BEING SAID, THE NEXT, THIS EVENT IS ON APRIL 14TH TIME.

YEAH.

THE MEETING IS AFTER THIS EVENT.

SO WHEN IS THE REHEARSAL? THEY STILL HAVE MORE REHEARSALS.

SO THE THING IS, IS LIKE WE CAN, WE, WE'VE ALREADY AGREED RIGHT.

TO PARTICIPATE AND HAVE A TABLE THERE.

YES.

SO WE CAN PLAN THAT.

AND LIKE, WE CAN SAY YES TO THOSE THINGS.

RIGHT.

BUT I THINK THAT, LIKE, I THINK, I DON'T KNOW IF WE NEED TO TAKE IT LIKE OUTSIDE OR WE NEED TO MAKE MULTIPLE, LIKE, LIKE A AD HOC COMMITTEE OR WHATEVER, BUT JUST TO HOW DO WE EDUCATE, LIKE HOW DO WE BECOME, LIKE HOW DO WE BE OUR, LIKE THE COMMITTEE OUTSIDE, UM, AND LIKE EDUCATE ON THIS.

SO MS. TRACY, JUST FROM, FOR MY UNDERSTANDING, I KNOW THAT WE CANNOT SEND CERTAIN THINGS IN A GROUP EMAIL, UM, WITHOUT IT BEING CONSIDERED A MEETING OR A SUB MEETING.

UM, HOW WOULD YOU SUGGEST IF MS. GLENDA LOOKED INTO IT A LITTLE MORE, SHOWED UP TO A PRACTICE, OR MS. ELVIA WENT AND TALKED TO MS. KAY, OR MS. KIMBERLY LOOKED INTO IT A LITTLE MORE, HOW WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT THEY GET THAT INFORMATION BACK TO US AND WE NOT BE, UM, ? I, I, I'LL TAKE THAT, THAT QUESTION IF I MAY.

UH, SO THERE'S AN ABILITY FOR THE, THE COMMITTEE TO SEND EMAILS OUT.

THERE JUST CANNOT BE RESPONSES TO THOSE EMAILS.

OH, OKAY.

AND BUSINESS CANNOT BE CONDUCTED THROUGH IT.

SO, UH, THE CHAIR OR ANY OF THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS CAN DEFINITELY SEND SOMETHING TO THE REST OF THE COMMITTEE, BUT THERE CANNOT BE DIALOGUE BACK AND FORTH REGARDING THAT.

THE KEY DON'T REPLY LIE.

DOES THAT, UM, APPLY IN TEXT MESSAGE AS WELL? IT APPLIES IN ANY FORM OF COMMUNICATION.

, YES.

OKAY.

? YES.

AND MADAM CHAIR, MAY, MAY I ASK, UM, AND, AND AGAIN, I APOLOGIZE FOR COMING IN FRESH ON THIS, BUT THE EVENT ITSELF, UM, IT, IT HAS A, A SPONSORSHIP BY THE, THE ARTS COMMISSION, WHICH IS FUNDED BY THE CITY'S HOTEL MOTEL OCCUPANCY TAX.

AND SO THAT'S WHERE THAT FUNDING CAME FROM.

UM, DO WE SEE A CONCERN IF IT'S NOT AN OFFICIAL CITY EVENT, INJECTING OURSELF AND DICTATING WHAT'S BEING PUT OUT THERE? I JUST WANTED TO, TO POSE THAT AS A QUESTION.

I'LL GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE.

WE RECENTLY HAD, UM, A, UH, IT WAS A BURLESQUE SHOW THAT WAS AT OUR FACILITY.

UM, IT WAS NOT SPONSORED BY THE CITY, AND THERE WERE FOLKS THAT WERE AGAINST IT.

HOWEVER, DUE TO FIRST AMENDMENT, WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO, UH, DICTATE WHAT TOOK PLACE IN THAT SHOW.

UM, YOU KNOW, WE MAY NOT AGREE WITH IT, BUT, BUT AGAIN, THOSE, THOSE TYPE OF ACTIVITIES ARE PROTECTED.

SO JUST, JUST WANTED TO PLANT THAT SEED AS WELL.

[00:35:01]

SO FROM WHAT I'VE UNDERSTOOD IN THE DISCUSSION IS THAT REGARDLESS WHETHER WE AGREE AS A COMMITTEE WITH WHAT'S BEING PUT OUT THERE IN THE PERFORMANCE, WE WILL STILL TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE THERE AND HAND OUT OUR INFORMATION AND EDUCATE PEOPLE ABOUT OUR COMMISSION.

IS THAT CORRECT? YES.

FOR ME IT'S CORRECT.

YES.

AND IN ADDITION TO THAT, TAKING WHAT WE LEARNED FROM IT AND BRINGING IT BACK AND PRESENTING IT TO THE, TO CITY OR OUR CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS AND OTHERS.

RIGHT.

OKAY.

SO THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GONNA HAVE THE TABLE.

SO INSTEAD, MY OPINION, INSTEAD OF HAVING THE DIFFERENT ETHNICITIES OR CULTURES OR WHATEVER, WHY NOT SOME NEW PEOPLE, AFRICAN AMERICAN, IF THAT'S WHAT THIS IS GONNA BE ABOUT, WHO HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING, NOT NECESSARILY CALLING ALLRED OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

I'M TALKING, UH, WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE LADY FROM OAK CLIFF, I THINK IT IS.

SHE'S SOLO.

SHE'S GONNA GET HER, HER NEW HOUSE.

UH, WHAT'S HER NAME? I CAN'T REMEMBER.

THEY JUST HAD IT IN THE NEWS TODAY.

THEY'VE BEEN HAVING A, SHE DOES, SHE DOES A LOT OF WALKING AND IT'S ALL A PARADES.

OAK CLIFF, I THINK.

WHO? OH, WHAT'S HER NAME? IT'S NOT ERICA.

ERICA BADU.

ERICA WHO? BAD? YOU KNOW, I DON'T KNOW O CLIFF.

OH, I KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I CAN'T THINK OF HER NAME RIGHT NOW EITHER.

I CAN'T EITHER.

THEY HAD IT IN THE NEWS TODAY BECAUSE SHE NAME IS OPAL.

YES.

YES.

SHE'S IN FORT WORTH.

FORT WORTH.

YEAH.

OH, OKAY.

WRONG.

BUT STILL, YOU KNOW, HAVE A PICTURE, AN ARTICLE OF HER.

WE HAVE GARLAND HEROES.

YEAH.

IT'S SOME, SOME FROM HERE.

YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW, I MEAN, IF I THINK ABOUT WHAT I WOULD DO IN THAT SYSTEM, YOU KNOW, THE, THE FIRST PERSON I THAT COMES TO MIND FOR ME IS THE PERSON WHO MY SON'S ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS NAMED AFTER VERNAL LISTER WAS THE FIRST BLACK PRINCIPAL OF AN INTEGRATED SCHOOL IN GARLAND.

AND HE WAS STILL ALIVE.

YES.

WHEN MY SON WAS IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

SO I USED TO GO PICK MR. LISTER UP FOR WHAT? FOR A PTA MEETING EACH YEAR.

AND THE KIDS WOULD JUST BE SO ENTHRALLED.

HE WAS A NEATEST KID.

HE WAS SO SWEET.

YEAH.

SEE, I ASKED HIM, SAID, HOW DO YOU, HOW DO YOU, BECAUSE I SERVED ON THE MULTI-ETHNIC COMMITTEE WITH HIM, AND I SAID, HOW DO YOU LOOK SO GOOD? FIVE.

HE SAID HE WAS A HUNDRED.

HE SAID, I HAVE A GOLD EVERY NIGHT THAT I GO TO BED, I MIGHT NOT DO IT IN THE MORNING, BUT I HAVE A GOLD WHEN I GO TO BED.

HE, HE IS, SEE SOMETHING LIKE THAT, YOU KNOW? BUT HIM GOLDILOCK, UM, YES, KENNY, YOU KNOW, THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE.

JOHN WASHINGTON, YOU KNOW, JOHN WASHINGTON WENT TO THE COLORED SCHOOL.

YEAH.

YOU KNOW, THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY, COMMUNITY WHO ARE LIVING THE HISTORY, BUT IT'S NOT OURS TO DO THAT.

BUT I WOULD LOVE TO DO IT AT OUR TABLE.

YEAH.

YOU KNOW, IF IT WAS A CULTURAL EVENT THAT WE WERE INVOLVED IN, THAT WOULD, I THINK THAT'S A FABULOUS IDEA.

I MEAN, WHAT WE PUT ON OUR TABLE FOR THIS EVENT IS OUR YEAH.

OUR TABLE, OUR THOUGHT PROCESS.

YEAH, OF COURSE.

I THINK IT SHOULD BE SOMETHING WITHIN THE, THE THEME OF THE, THE PROGRAM ITSELF.

SO CERTAINLY WE'RE OPENING IT UP FOR DISCUSSION.

WHAT WOULD WE LIKE TO PUT ON OUR TABLE? WHAT WE LIKE TO PUT GARLAND HEROES ON OUR TABLE.

WHAT A PICTURE, A BIO.

UM, WILL WE LIKE TO CREATE A, A SLIDE PRESENTATION OF SOME SORT? AND I'M POINTING AT JUSTINA, UM, WHAT SHE DID THAT JUSTINA WHAT WHAT WE SAW FROM A MILE.

IF, IF WE HAVE OUR, UM, RETREAT BEFORE THEN, CAN WE DISCUSS IT MORE? 'CAUSE I THINK I NEED TO TALK TO KAY BECAUSE SHE SENT ME AN EMAIL AND ASKED ME TO DO SOME KIND OF PRESENTATION FOR A FIREFIGHTER.

SO THEY'RE APPARENTLY THEY'RE DOING SOME KIND OF PRESENTATIONS THERE DURING THIS THING ALSO.

YEAH.

SO I, I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS NO, SHE JUST SAID WE'RE DOING SOME A FIREFIGHTER.

SHE SENT ME, I'LL HAVE TO LOOK AT THAT EMAIL AGAIN.

UM, SO SHE DIDN'T HAVE ANYBODY IN MIND? NO.

SHE, I GUESS SHE DID, BUT SHE DIDN'T ASK THE CHIEF.

SHE, I GUESS SHE WANTED NO, I DON'T KNOW.

BUT, BUT SHE CALLED THE BLACK FIREFIGHTER .

THERE'S A THEME HERE.

YEAH.

LET'S NOT, LET'S NOT NOT UNDERSTAND.

I MEAN, THAT IS WHAT'S HAPPENING TO UNDERSTAND, YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU CALL ME, THERE'S A REASON YOU DIDN'T CALL A WHITE MOTHER AND ASK FOR THEIR CHILD TO DO WHITE MOTHER.

NO.

WE WANTED CONNECT WITH A PEOPLE SO THAT IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S COMING FROM THAT.

AND THAT'S WHERE I AM LIKE, NO, NOT THAT.

BUT YOU KNOW, I, I'M INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE HISTORY OF SEGREGATED GARLAND, AND I'LL TELL YOU THAT THERE'S STILL SOME SEGREGATION ISSUES HERE.

OH, I BELIEVE THAT.

SO, UM, SO MARY, WHAT WERE YOU SAYING? WHAT? OH, I'M JUST, I, I'M, I JUST NEED TO FIND OUT MORE WHAT SHE WANTS FROM ME.

YOU KNOW, DO WE HAVE A BLACK FIREMAN? WHO NEEDS A, WHO NEEDS A COMMENDATION?

[00:40:01]

OH, THERE'S, THERE'S SOME, THERE'S THE FIRST, UH, CAPTAIN AT THE FIRE STATION.

THERE YOU GO.

SEE? BUT I DON'T THINK SHE HAD HIM IN MIND, BUT I HAVEN'T, YOU KNOW, BROOKS, HE'S MADE CAPTAIN.

HE HAS HIS OWN STATION.

HE'S THE FIRST ONE.

NOT ANYONE MINE.

SHE NEEDS YOU TO YEAH, SHE NEEDS YOU TO TELL HER.

SHE'S NOT THINKING ABOUT .

SO WE'RE ALL IN AGREEMENT THAT WE WILL DISPLAY GARLAND HEROES, AFRICAN AMERICAN GARLAND HEROES.

NOW YOU REALIZE YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO GIVE ME ALL THAT INFORMATION.

I'D BE GLAD TO BE AT THE TABLE.

BUT I MEAN, I KNOW OF PEOPLE LIKE ANGIE DIXON.

YEAH, I'M, I'M LIKE YOU MISS ELVIA.

WE'LL, WE'LL HAVE TO DO SOME, SOME RESEARCH WITH OVER THE NEXT WEEK, BECAUSE I WILL BE THERE TO SET UP THE TABLE.

I WILL BE THERE TO REPRESENT US AS A COMMISSION FOR THIS EVENT.

UM, SO SET UP IS AT 12, THE PERFORMANCE IS AT THREE.

THREE.

YES.

AND TEAR.

YOU TOOK THREE WEEKS.

UH, I DID NOT GET TEAR DOWN.

OKAY.

UH, I'LL BE THERE THROUGH THE EVENT.

SO IF I HAVE TO, IT'S PROBABLY LIKE AN HOUR, HOUR AND A HALF FOR THE PLAY.

YOU THINK, DON'T MAKE ME LIE.

I DON'T KNOW.

, I DON'T KNOW.

SO I THINK BASED ON OUR CONVERSATION, THAT IS LIKE NO MATTER WHAT THIS PLAY IS ABOUT, WE WANNA HONOR GARLAND HEROES, AFRICAN-AMERICAN GARLAND HEROES.

RIGHT.

BUT ALSO, WHATEVER IT IS, IS LIKE NO MATTER WHAT IT IS, WE'RE HERE TO REPRESENT AND HONOR THE CULTURE THAT IS THERE.

RIGHT.

UM, AND SO I THINK, AND THEN BASED OFF OF WHAT MERYL WAS SAYING, IF WE DO, LIKE, YOU KNOW, FOR FUTURE LIKE DISCUSSION WHEN WE COME TO THE RETREAT, UM, DISCUSSION, IF WE HAVE THE DISC, THE RETREAT BEFORE APRIL 14TH, THIS SHOULD BE SOMETHING THAT WE DISCUSS ON HOW WE DO IT OR SO ON AND SO FORTH.

OKAY? YES.

THEN DO WE NEED TO MAKE A MOTION OF ANYTHING? YES.

WE NEED TO MAKE A MOTION THAT WE ARE GOING TO SET OUR TABLE UP WITH AN UNDERSTANDING THAT WE ARE DOING, UH, PICTURES AND BIOS OF GARLAND HEROES, AFRICAN AMERICAN GARLAND HEROES.

OKAY.

I MOVE TO MAKE A MOTION THAT WE SET UP OUR TABLE FOR THE FLATS PERFORMANCE ON, UH, IN, IN THE ATRIUM ON APRIL 14TH, 2024, UM, WITH AFRICAN AMERICAN GARLAND HEROES.

SECOND.

SECOND.

COOL.

UH, MS. KIMBERLY, ALL THOSE IN FAVOR? AYE.

AYE.

ALL THOSE OPPOSED THE EYES.

HAVE IT GONNA SAY NO? .

GREAT DISCUSSION.

UM, WE ARE GOING TO MOVE ON TO ITEM NUMBER C, COMMUNITY MULTICULTURAL COMMISSION RETREAT DISCUSSION.

UM, I WOULD LIKE TO OPENLY APOLOGIZE.

THE FACT THAT WE DID NOT HAVE IT IN MARCH WAS MY FAULT.

UM, I WAS SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE AN AGENDA TO MS. TRACY, JUST LIKE WE DO FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

SHE HAS TO HAVE THE AGENDA ITEMS SO THAT SHE CAN POST IT FOR IT.

UM, I MISUNDERSTOOD THAT PART.

SO I DID NOT GET AN AGENDA FROM YOU GUYS FOR US TO BE ABLE TO HAVE THE RETREAT BECAUSE WE HAVE TO HAVE AN AGENDA.

SO, UM, I ASKED VIA TEXT IF WE COULD COME TODAY WITH TWO DATES, TWO WEEKENDS, UM, THAT WORKED FOR US IN APRIL, SO THAT WE CAN TRY TO GO AHEAD AND HAVE OUR RETREAT.

UH, DID ANYONE, ANYONE WANTS TO GET STARTED WITH THE TWO DAYS? I COULD DO SIXTH AND 20TH.

ME TOO.

SIX AND 20TH.

I CAN'T DO SIXTH.

I CAN'T DO 20TH.

NO.

.

I CAN'T DO ANY OTHER ONE.

OH, SO YOU'RE ALL OUT FOR APRIL.

ALL RIGHT.

DO 20TH.

I CAN DO, YOU CAN DO THE 20TH.

THE 20TH.

YEAH.

OKAY.

20TH WILL WORK FOR ME.

THE 20TH.

ISAAC 20TH IS GOOD.

BOTH MR. CHARLES IS GOOD FOR THE 20TH.

YEAH.

ALL RIGHT.

SO MS. TRACY AND I, I FORGOT TO SAY THIS PART TOO LAST TIME.

CAN YOU PLEASE, YOU'RE NOT GOOD FOR THE 20TH.

THE 13TH IS THE ONLY DAY I'M AVAILABLE.

NO, I'M NOT AVAILABLE.

DO THE 13TH.

OKAY.

UM, MAJORITY RULES.

MM-HMM.

.

UM, THE 20TH.

APRIL 20TH.

20TH.

YOU JUST DRIVE AROUND IN YOUR CONVERTIBLE DATE.

I KNOW.

I GOTTA KEEP SAYING THAT.

.

WHAT? NO, THAT'D BE THE SIXTH.

DRIVE AROUND IN YOUR CONVERTIBLE DATE.

THAT'LL BE THE, THAT'LL BE APRIL 5TH THROUGH THE EIGHTH.

RENEE HAS A CONVERTIBLE.

ALL RIGHT.

SO APRIL 20TH.

NOW HOW MANY MS. TRACY, CAN YOU MAKE SURE THAT THE CONFERENCE ROOM IS AVAILABLE ON APRIL 20TH? I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THE LAST TIME AS WELL.

ALL RIGHT.

SO GUYS, UM, CAN WE HAVE A MOTION? I MOVE THAT WE HAVE A RE OUR, UH, RETREAT ON APRIL THE 20TH.

UM, FROM WHAT TIME?

[00:45:01]

NINE TO 11.

NINE TO ONE.

OKAY.

FROM NINE TO ONE.

WHERE DOES IT SAME PLACE HERE.

KIMBERLY, MS. KIMBERLY, SECONDED.

I SECOND MR. CHARLES SECONDED AS WELL.

.

UM, ALL THOSE IN FAVOR? AYE.

ALL THOSE OPPOSED? NA.

AND SINCE MR. RENEE WILL NOT BE HERE, NAME WHO'S HER NAME? ISAAC.

ISAAC SAID 20 WAS FINE TOO.

HE WAS JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF YOU WERE LISTENING.

ISAAC? NO.

SINCE MR. RENEE WON'T BE HERE, HE'S GOING TO PROVIDE DESSERT FOR US.

MM-HMM.

.

SO THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

YES, MA'AM.

AND DELIVER IT IN CONVERTIBLE CONVERT .

ALL RIGHT.

THE NEXT THING ON THE ITEM AGENDA IS LETTER D, THE COMMUNITY MULTICULTURAL.

OH, SORRY.

YES.

I SO DID YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT THE DIS LIKE WHAT DISCUSSION PIECES YOU WANTED TO OH, YOU ARE CORRECT.

YES.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PARTICULAR TOPICS THAT THEY WANT TO DISCUSS? WE KNOW FOR SURE THAT WE WILL, UH, WHAT DAY WE WENT.

OH, SO APRIL 20TH IS AFTER YEAH.

UHHUH CAN'T DO THE FLAT THE FLATS EVENT, SO WE WON'T BE ABLE TO DISCUSS IT THERE.

WE DISCUSS THE BYLAWS.

BYLAWS.

UM, I'D LIKE TO DISCUSS, UM, WITHIN THE BYLAWS, BUT I THINK THAT IT'S IMPORTANT FOR US TO DISCUSS ONE OF THOSE INSIGHTS.

I DON'T REMEMBER IF IT'S SECTION THREE OR NO SECTION.

IT'S ARTICLE TWO, SECTION THREE.

UM, NO, SECTION 1.3 WHERE IT'S TO PROVIDE INSIGHT IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS.

OKAY.

ARTICLE, ARTICLE TWO, SECTION 1.3.

UM, BECAUSE I THINK THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN THE RECENT, LIKE RECENT EVENTS HAVE HAPPENED WHERE THERE COULD BE SOME GOOD ADVOCATING.

UM, SPECIFICALLY WITH, UM, IF I MAY THE AN EXAMPLE IS, UH, THE GARLAND POLICE, UM, ARRESTED, UM, SOME WOMEN, UH, WITH HIJABI WOMEN.

UH, MEN WERE ASKED TO, THEY WERE NOT ASKED, THEY WERE TOLD AND KIND OF FORCED TO TAKE OFF THEIR HIJABS DURING THEIR MUGSHOTS.

AND THAT IS AGAINST LIKE CULTURE AND RELIGION.

UM, MARCHED LIKE, SO MARCH RECENTLY IN LIKE YELLOW PROTEST.

YEAH.

OH MY GOD.

AND SO I JUST WANT TO BRING IT UP BECAUSE I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT LIKE IN THOSE, IN THAT INSIGHT, IT'S FOR PUBLIC SAFETY AS WELL.

AND, UM, THEIR CULTURE WAS A PART OF BEING A HIJABI IS, IS BEING COVERED IN, IN A WAY THAT, THAT LIKE RESPECT, LIKE THAT RESPECTS THEMSELVES AND RESPECTS OTHERS AROUND THEM.

AND SO IT TOOK A LOT OF FIGHT TO GET THOSE, UM, THOSE PICTURES OFF OF THE INTERNET.

UM, AND BECAUSE LIKE, THAT'S NOT SOMETHING THAT THEY DO.

SO I JUST WANT TO HAVE THAT AS A DISCUSSION, UM, BECAUSE I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT WE ARE HERE AS PEOPLE WHO CAN PROVIDE EDUCATION.

UM, AND I MEAN, IT BREAKS MY HEART SAYING IT, UM, LIKE THE FACT THAT THAT HAPPENED IN OUR CITY.

BUT, UM, I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT AND SEE HOW WE CAN CORRECTLY OR, UM, I GUESS LOVINGLY LIKE EDUCATE AND CORRECT, UM, OUR PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT AND LIKE STUFF LIKE THAT.

THIS, THIS WAS AT THE DEMONSTRATIONS OF GENERAL ED DYNAMICS.

YES.

YEAH.

CORRECT.

YEAH.

YEAH.

AT THE GD, THE 25, I BELIEVE LIKE 25 PEOPLE WERE ARRESTED.

I DID NOT THAT THAT BREAKS MY HEART.

YEAH, IT BROKE MY HEART TOO.

BUT LET'S BE HONEST, I THINK , THAT'S WORTH TALKING ABOUT.

I MEAN, I THINK IT'S WORTH, I THINK IT'S WORTH TALKING ABOUT HOW CAN WE GO ABOUT CREATING RELATIONSHIPS WITH LIKE OUR CITY COUNCIL AND THINGS LIKE THAT TO EDUCATE ON CULTURE BECAUSE LIKE, THERE'S A LOT OF THINGS THAT ARE GOING ON THAT, I MEAN, LIKE, WE'RE THE MULTICULTURAL THAT CULTURE.

YEAH.

YEAH.

AND SO, OR VIOLATE EVEN JUST PEOPLE'S BACKGROUNDS.

AND SO I JUST THINK THAT AS THE MULTICULTURAL COMMISSION WE HAVE, WE HAVE A SAY.

I THINK WE'RE ALLOWED TO HAVE, I THINK ANYBODY'S ALLOWED, BUT THINK WE SHOULD CLAIM ONE WHETHER WE'RE ALLOWED TO YES, EXACTLY.

YEAH.

YOU KNOW, THE, THE ROLE OF ADVOCACY IS IN THERE AS WELL.

IF, IF WE, IF WE EXIST SO THAT EVERYONE FEELS WELCOME, THAT INCLUDES PEOPLE OBSERVING WHATEVER THEIR CULTURAL NORMS ARE.

I, THAT'S NOT, YOU KNOW, AND PUBLIC SAFETY IS THE PUBLIC A HUNDRED PERCENT.

IT'S NOT ONLY THE PUBLIC THAT WE DRESS LIKE MM-HMM.

, I THINK IT'S ALSO INCLUDES THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ARRESTED.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? LIKE, THEY'RE STILL OUR CITIZENS.

THEY'RE STILL IN GARLAND.

SO I THINK THAT'S LIKE THEY'RE WORTH ADVOCATING FOR AS WELL.

YOU KNOW, HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ARRESTED FOR LIVING WHILE BLACK ARRESTED DOESN'T MEAN GUILTY.

RIGHT.

MS. TRACY, IF WE DECIDED, UM, AS A COMMITTEE TO HAVE THE POLICE CHIEF COME JUST TO HELP US UNDERSTAND THE TIE IN BETWEEN THE TWO, UH, US AND THE COMMUNITY, THEM, THE POLICE, UH, DEPARTMENT AND THE COMMUNITY, I MEAN NOT SAY US AND THEM , UH, THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND

[00:50:01]

THE COMMUNITY, UH, HOW DO WE GO ABOUT GETTING HIS PRESENCE? I CAN REACH OUT AND AND CONFIRM WHETHER OR NOT HE'S AVAILABLE.

OKAY.

AND IF SO, SEE IF HE CAN, AND IF HE IS NOT AVAILABLE AS A COMMITTEE, WE UNDERSTAND WE WILL NOT CHANGE OUR DATE BECAUSE HE'S NOT AVAILABLE.

YEAH, YEAH.

NO, I THINK, BUT AT SOME POINT HE CAN BE AVAILABLE.

YEAH, WE CAN, WE CAN ALWAYS INVITE HIM TO A MEETING AS WELL.

WHAT WE WOULD ASK IS THAT HE SHARE HIS AVAILABILITY WITH AGAINST OUR DATES.

RIGHT.

AND WELL, THE ONLY REASON I, THAT'S A GREAT CHANNEL TO OPEN FOR COMMUNICATION ANYWAY.

I MEAN, YOU KNOW, YOU LOOK AT THINGS LIKE HOW CONNECTED WE ARE WITH UNIDOS MM-HMM.

, WHICH IS, YOU KNOW, SO OPEN AND SHARING AND WONDERFUL.

BUT THAT'S NOT IN THIS PART OF THE, THE ENTIRETY OF THAT'S NOT POLICY.

RIGHT.

THE REASON I SAID WE WON'T CHANGE THE DATE IS BECAUSE IN THE PAST, BECAUSE WE HAD A SPEAKER OR WE WERE ASKING FOR SOMEONE TO COME AND SPEAK AND THEY WEREN'T AVAILABLE, WE KEPT MOVING OUR DATES.

YEAH.

SO I'M JUST SAYING, I UNDERSTAND THAT WE AS A COMMITTEE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HIM THERE, BUT IF HE IS UNAVAILABLE ON THE 20TH, WE CAN JUST ASK TO SEE IF HE'S AVAILABLE ONE THIRD THURSDAY OUT OF THE MONTH TO POSSIBLY COME AND MAYBE SPEAK TO US, YOU KNOW, ON A MORE ONE-ON-ONE BASIS DURING A MEETING, IF HE IS UNAVAILABLE, BUT HE HAS MADE FEW POINTS TO STAND IN HIS PLACE, WOULD THAT BE ACCEPTABLE? OR DO YOU PREFER THE CHIEF? I THINK ANYONE, YEAH.

WOULD BE GOOD.

I THINK WE NEED TO OPEN THE CHANNEL OF COMMUNICATION.

AND I'D LIKE TO NOTE THAT MY WANTING OF A DISCUSSION OF THIS WAS MORE A DISCUSSION OF US ON HOW TO, LIKE, WHEN WE GET TO THE CHANCE AND LIKE TO MEET WITH THE POLICE CHIEF OR SOMEBODY THAT REPRESENTS HIM, THAT WE'D HAVE A, LIKE A, LIKE A STATEMENT OR SOMETHING THAT WE COULD COME TOGETHER WITH.

SO I, IT WAS MORE FOR A DISCUSSION OF ALL OF US, BUT IF YOU GUYS WANNA BRING HIM IN, I'M TOTALLY FINE WITH THAT.

BUT I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT THAT WAS MY INTENTION.

I I WOULD, UH, ENCOURAGE YOU TO, UH, GIVE HIM AN OPPORTUNITY TO, UH, SHARE WITH US HOW HE HAS HANDLED THAT SITUATION.

BECAUSE, UH, I WOULD, UH, WAGER A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY.

HE DID NOT MAKE THAT DECISION.

AND, AND PROBABLY NO ONE IN VERY CLOSE AUTHORITY TO HIM IN THE POLICE DEPARTMENT MADE THAT DECISION.

YEAH.

BECAUSE FROM WHAT I'VE READ OF IT, IT WAS MADE BY SOME PEOPLE AT THE BOOKING AND PHOTOGRAPH WHO WOULD BE AT BEST A SERGEANT AND THAT ARE THEY, AND THE GARLAND POLICE OR WHOEVER WAS REPORTING IMMEDIATELY SAID, OF COURSE, THIS IS IN VIOLATION OF THIS FEDERAL GUIDELINE, THIS FEDERAL LAW, THIS FEDERAL LAW AND FED.

ARE THEY ON ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE? I, I DON'T KNOW.

BUT, BUT YEAH, I MEAN, THAT MAKES SENSE.

BUT, BUT I WOULDN'T, I WOULD GO IN, WE DON'T HAVE, WITH AN, WE DON'T HAVE AMBITION.

NO.

YEAH.

I WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS ALSO WITH THIS, THEY KEEP CHANGING IT, THAT ARRESTING MIGRANTS.

OH YES.

THE NEW, THE THING THAT CAME INTO, YOU KNOW, I MIGHT PASS THIS A HISPANIC, BUT NOT A MIGRANT WORKER, BUT THERE'S A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE LIVED HERE FOR YEARS, AND IF YOU LOOK AT 'EM, YOU'D THINK THEY'RE A MIGRANT MIGRANT.

SO ARE YOU GONNA BE STOPPING EVERYBODY THAT LOOKS LIKE A MIGRANT? YOU KNOW? I MEAN, IS THERE A PARTICULAR LOOK OF A MIGRANT? THERE IS NO SUCH THING .

UM, BUT, YOU KNOW, SO SEVERAL POLICE DEPARTMENTS HAVE WEIGHED IN AND I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING FROM GARLAND, BUT DALLAS HAS, FORT WORTH HAS, AND, YOU KNOW, I MEAN, THERE'S, THERE'S AN OPPORTUNITY FOR SO MANY DIFFERENT DISCUSSION TOPICS.

YOU KNOW, IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL TO JUST SIT DOWN.

UNFORTUNATELY, WE CAN'T GO OUT AND HAVE COFFEE WITH ANYONE WITHOUT LIKE, GETTING OUR HANDS SLAPPED.

BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE VERY CASUAL.

MM-HMM.

ABOUT IT.

AND SHARE, YOU KNOW, OUR CONCERN AND OUR DESIRE TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL PEOPLE FEEL WELCOME REGARDLESS OF BACKGROUND IN THIS COMMUNITY.

THAT'S WHAT, THAT'S OUR MISSION.

LET ME, LET ME POSE THE QUESTION TO, TO PHIL.

IF MAYBE PHIL, DO WE KNOW IF THE, UH, THE CHIEF AND CITY COUNCIL ARE ALREADY HAVING THESE DISCUSSIONS? SURE.

UM, SO, SO THIS, UH, THE CHIEF HAS DISCUSSED, UM, I, I'VE HEARD THE DISCUSSION IS RELATED TO, UH, RECENT LAW, UH, PASSED BY THE STATE AS IT RELATES TO, TO MIGRANT WORKERS AND ENFORCING FEDERAL LAWS AS IT RELATES TO, TO MIGRANT.

UM, CHIEF HAS, HAS, UH, DISCUSSED THAT WITH BOTH THE CITY MANAGER AND THE CITY COUNCIL.

AND I THINK AS EVERYONE'S AWARE, THAT'S STILL TIED UP IN, IN COURT AS WE, AS WE SPEAK.

UH, I WON'T SPEAK FOR CHIEF ON THAT, UH, BUT, UH, I THINK HE WOULD COME IN AND GIVE YOU AN, GIVE EVERYONE AN OPPORTUNITY TO, TO VISIT WITH HIM, UH, ABOUT THAT.

I THINK HE WOULD BE, HE WOULD BE THRILLED TO, TO TALK ABOUT THAT.

UM, AND AS IT RELATES TO STAFF, YOU'RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO CALL ANY OF US AND YOU CAN INTERACT WITH US DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU CAN THE REST OF THE BOARD.

SO, SO YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOME TO CALL CHIEF.

AND, UH, HE HAS A LARGE STAFF AND A PUBLIC, UH, RELATIONS TEAM THAT YOU CAN VISIT WITH, UH, AT ANY TIME.

[00:55:01]

UH, AS IT RELATES TO THE ISSUES, UH, FOR THE, FOR THE PROTEST, UH, I THINK THERE'S A LOT OF DYNAMICS THAT HAVE BEEN PUT IN THAT, AND I THINK THERE'S A LOT OF, UH, RUMORS, BUT ALSO SOME ITEMS THAT HAVE HAVE OCCURRED.

I THINK CHIEF WOULD DEFINITELY COME AND TALK ABOUT HOW WE'RE HANDLING SITUATIONS OF THAT NATURE.

UH, I DON'T THINK HE CAN PROVIDE SPECIFICS BECAUSE THERE'S ONGOING INVESTIGATIONS THAT ARE STILL TAKING PLACE.

BUT I THINK HE CAN TALK TO YOU ABOUT THE COMMUNITY NATURE OF OUR POLICE DEPARTMENT AND HOW THEY WANT TO BE A PART OF THE, OF THE, UM, OF THE COMMUNITY.

UH, I, I WILL TELL THE COMMITTEE, UH, IF WE STICK SOMETHING THAT SPECIFIC ON THE AGENDA, IF YOU RECALL, TUESDAY WE HAD, UH, A LARGE PROTEST AT CITY HALL AND IT REQUIRED A POLICE PRESENCE.

IT REQUIRED A, UH, AN ORCHESTRATED EFFORT TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERYONE STAYED, UH, SAFE.

NOT ONLY STAFF THE COUNCIL, BUT THE PROTESTORS AS WELL.

AND SO THAT MAY BRING IN PEOPLE IF WE'RE SPECIFIC, JUST ADDRESSING ONE PARTICULAR ITEM.

BUT I THINK OVERALL CHIEF CAN PROVIDE AN OVERVIEW OF HIS DEPARTMENT'S, UH, UM, COMMUNITY EFFORTS.

YEAH.

I THINK IT'S WORTH HAVING A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AS THE MULTICULTURAL COMMISSION TO HAVE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT HOW CAN WE MAKE SURE THAT EVERY CULTURE OR EVERY BACKGROUND IS, IS FEELS WELCOME IN OUR CITY.

SHOULD UH, SHOULD WE CONSIDER THE CMC AS AN ENTITY ISSUING OF SOME SORT OF STATEMENT ABOUT, ABOUT THIS? HMM.

IS THAT EVEN SOMETHING THAT WE CAN DO? IT'S SO YOU CAN'T, I WOULD CAUTION YOU AGAINST IT.

YEAH.

WE'RE NOT